Miller Hall and Creed Fulton Hall

Easily identified by the observatory dome, Miller-Fulton Hall serves as home to the college departments of physics, history, and mass communications. The front portion of the building, including the Creed Fulton Observatory, was built in 1914. The observatory bears the name of a circuit-riding Methodist preacher who is considered to be one of the four founders of the college. Two of Fulton's daughters donated a considerable sum toward the cost of the building, and the remainder of the necessary money was raised by an energetic E&H professor, Dr. Fred Allison (Class of 1904), who acquired a national reputation for his work in physics. For one fund-raising event, Allison secured the fiery orator William Jennings Bryan to lecture on campus, selling tickets to area residents.