As Assistant Director for Electronic Communications, I currently handle all facets of Emory & Henry College's presence for publicly available digital materials, including our www.ehc.edu, MCA, Theatre, Transfer to E&H, and SHS websites—such as the Pre-Health, PA and OT Departments.
I’ve been working with the web for over 11 years with in-depth experience developing, designing and delivering digital marketing material via the internet at a professional level. While I’d love to claim that I'm mostly self-taught outside of two basic Web classes in college, in reality I'm simply standing on the shoulders of giants like Chris Coyer, Andy Clark, Ethan Marcotte, Jeffery Feldman, Mike Monteiro and anyone who’s participated in answering web question on services like Stack Overflow. The reality is, I “community taught”, that is I learned the craft through research, experimentation, and examples laid out across the web by hard-working souls who comprise the web design and development community as a whole.
Alot of my job involves putting out fires, like this guy.
My firm grasp on current web technologies pairs well with my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. Through the use of products such as Adobe's Creative Design Suite, I'm able to marry the design and coding processes to produce more efficient and productive designs for marketing and communication purposes. Paired with a wealth of print, typography and two-dimensional design knowledge, I'm frequently tasked with using all my knowledge and experience to design and produce solutions to communication problems, often crafting custom solutions that are simple and effective.
My family tree's roots are in the Appalachian Mountains, going back several generations throughout the Bland, Wythe, and Smyth County regions. I take great pride in my Appalachian Heritage and all the wonders that Southwest Virginia holds. While I've traveled across both ponds visiting Europe and Asia, I've found there is truly no place like home. As a proud member of the Emory & Henry College staff, I also take great pride in begin able to give back to the area that has given me so much.
In my spare time, I enjoy watercolor painting, studying design and emerging technologies, enjoying the great outdoors, and spending time with my wife and kids.
I enjoy the contrast in my life. Despite working with computers and tech on a daily basis, I still really enjoy getting back to my roots and the simple pleasures found in life—as this video that my wonderful wife created of our family making maple syrup demonstrates. Enjoy!
- B.F.A. — Virginia Intermont College, 2006
Awards & Accolades
- 2014 PRSA Award of Quality: Summer Adventure Program at Emory & Henry College
- 2014 AAF Silver Addy: Digital Advertising, 2015 Summer Adventure Program Email Campaign
- 2009 AGDA by GD USA: Public Service, City of Kingsport, Tennessee 2009 CCR for Water Quality.
- #1 National Award for Comic in High School Newspaper (out of 11k+ entries): 1996 CSPA — Columbia University
- Unused-CSS.com: helping to test and refine this excellent tool that enables web developers to easily determine unused CSS styling properties on a website. Incredibly useful for sites as they scale over time, as CSS files usually get bloated with the growth. This tool helps to weed out anything that's not needed, and thus creates a faster and more maintainable site.